I am always down for french toast and i’ll always look for new ways to cook my french toasts. One example being these peanut butter and banana french toast roll ups. I first made these onion and zucchini french toasts last month on a whim when I was taking a break from reading for my exams. I wanted something savory and that is when I had the idea for these french toasts. They came out so good considering it was my first time making them using some leftover zucchini (that we Kenyans oh so fondly know as courgettes) and onions from our pantry. Once I was done with my exams, I decided to cook them once again but the photos didn’t turnout so great. Despite this, it was still a hit with my siblings and my sister said they tasted like pizza B) Since third time’s a charm, let’s get cooking:
- 1 large zucchini (courgette)
- 1 large red onion
- Slices of bread
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 egg
- Vegetable oil for cooking
- Salt to taste
- Grate or thinly slice your zucchini and onion. I used the usual red onion because it is much more flavourful.
- Add the onion and zucchini to a shallow bowl. Whisk your egg and milk together and proceed to pour in the same bowl.
- Next add your salt and nutmeg and mix everything together thoroughly until well combined.
- Take your bread slices and coat them one by one with the mixture evenly. If the onions and zucchini give you a hard time and not stick on the bread, feel free to use your hand and carefully add everything on top of the bread. Just be careful not to drench your bread because they will fall apart.
- Heat your cooking oil on the pan and proceed to cook both sides for three minutes on medium high heat or until the onions cook.
- Repeat step 4 until you are done with all of your bread slices. This would go so well with my homemade mango syrup for breakfast or brunch. Don’t forget to enjoy.